Historic Holiday House Rental in Kerry
Beaufort House is a beautiful 18th century manor house set in 40 acres of woodland overlooking the River Laune.
In about 1570, Owen O’Sullivan, The O’Sullivan Mor, Lord of Dunkerron and Dunloe, built Coolmagort Castle, just down river from Dunloe Castle and commanding the ford crossing the River Laune where Beaufort Bridge now stands. It was a “Short Castle” so called because, built as it was on an eminence above the river, it was only two stories high. In 1653 the castle was attacked by the Cromwellian General Edmund Ludlow and the west wall was demolished.
In about 1760 the present house was built by a Dingle family the De Moleyns Earls of Ventry. Rather than demolishing the remaining three walls of the castle they used them to form the hallway of the new house, making our hallway probably the oldest inhabited space in Kerry. The interior was altered in 1840 and the chimneypieces and plasterwork date from this time.
The house has been totally refurbished in recent years and is available for holiday rental. It now provides luxurious accommodation for 8 people in four double or twin en suite rooms. There is formal dining room, drawing room, the open fire guarded by the fire pigs, a comfortable library with satellite television, and a fully equipped guest kitchen and full central heating, as well as open fires in the reception rooms.
TAKE A TOUR OF BEAUFORT HOUSE
For rates click here
To make a booking or inquiry click here
Donald and Rachel Cameron,